Thursday, July 31, 2008

Man enters Ranganathan street during Diwali and crosses it after Aadi

Ranganathan Street is a street in T.Nagar, Chennai, India. It is located on the approach to the Mambalam train station, and a plentitude of commercial establishments can be found on this street.

A 26 year old man named Venkatesh attempted his first trip down Ranganathan Street a day before Diwali (Nov 2007) and has crossed the busy throughfare by the end of Aadi (July 2008). He spoke of his experience "Well, I didn't expect that Ranganathan street gets so crowded during Diwali, Pongal and Aadi season. I wanted to buy a couple of shirts and a trouser for myself at Jeyachandran Textiles when I first entered the street. I've finally purchased them, but yet to pay the bill... the counter is still crowded." He added "It was a pleasant experience going through the street. I found everything required for my day-to-day existence there. I had 3 meals a day, managed to take a bath daily in the sweat of everyone walking by, and even managed to get a shave occasionally!"

When the manager of Saravana Stores, a popular store in T.Nagar was contacted, he said "Yeah, the crowds during the festive seasons get a bit large sometimes." He pointed to an old white-haired and bearded man and said "Do you see that person? He came to buy a few pairs of jeans to wear at his college. Hopefully he can finish his purchase before he gets too old to wear them."

Venkatesh, though, is very happy. "I finally managed to cross the street. I didnt realize that Diwali is over. I did hear some firecrackers bursting, but I wasn't too sure if they were indeed the sound from firecrackers or from someone with a massive indigestion. All I now need to do is to pay for the clothes I've selected and collect them. As the queue next to the bill counter in the shop is somewhat long, hopefully I can get that done by the end of Christmas."

No comments: